Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Parenting for the broke.

  Growing up my father always provided everything we needed, and most of what we wanted. He tried very hard to keep us happy, and now more than ever I appreciate it. As a parent I now know how hard it is to watch other children have things that you want for your children. It is even harder to watch your child want for something that you simply do not have the money to buy.
  Thankfully Ian and I are working on being able to move past that problem, but in the meantime there are things we go without. My children wear hand-me-downs. I did it, and many of my favorites were actually hand-me-downs, not to mention the kids grow too darn fast to constantly change out their wardrobes.. My children get things from Craigslist ( seriously craigslist is amazing!) and from Goodwill. I have had some amazing finds there! And my personal favorite..  The Weecycled Wardrobe...  Vicky and Penny are amazing for putting forth the effort to organize that!! someone should write them a thankyou card larger than my townhouse.. just sayin'
  I have been reading this book..The 7 Ancient Keys to Happiness  ..not every day unfortunately the way it is supposed to be read, but I get to it and do the excercises and it is definitely on my recommended reads list..  The last daily excercise was to make a list of everything you are grateful for that you have. It made me realize that even though I would love to have a million things for the children that often JT plays with some of the most random things..  
  This is a list of some of them off the top of my head...

  • Diaper boxes-pushes them, hides things in them.. climbs in them
  • Toilet paper roll holders (he presses them up against the wall and likes to watch them fly when he lets go)
  • my keys, shoes and broken cell phones (normal for todays toddlers I know)
  • empty soda bottles
  • magnets.. This child convinced his grandma to buy him a $3 magnet from the made in VA store so that he can stick it on the fridge and take it off a million times a day
  • his own carseat
  • his sisters car seat
  • drink pitchers
  • cheese grater.. have to hide it
  • store bags (he pretends he is leaving)
  • the broom
  • the dvd cases ( he is known to use them instead of blocks and I find piles of them all over the house)
I know there are many many more things that I have come across, and believe me he is not hurting for clothes or toys, but thinking about all of these things that he spends most of his time studying and learning and playing with has brought something further to my attention...


I am able to provide my child with a million things that other children do not have. The more creative I am, the larger his imagination is and will be. And just as in everything else.. the material possessions can not replace the laughs and memories that we make together by rolling my son up in a blanket and rolling him across the floor, playing "Horsie", or making puppets out of his socks and shoes.

Thanks Daddy for taking the time to show me that quality time can not be replaced by material possessions.. and for showing me the clearance racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment