Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Days like this.

   Now don't get me wrong..  there are days when as a parent you look up at the sky and think... WHAT ON EARTH WAS I THINKING?!  They say God will never give you anything that you can not handle...  Some days it is hard to believe that. I don't care how wonderful of a parent you are, or that you have the patience of a goddess, you know darn well there have been a few days where you look at your child and think (or say under your breath) What planet are you from?!?! How am I THIS bad at parenting? or.. my personal favorite...  What the heck is wrong with you?!?! why are you still crying? It is not the end of the world!

  And then you have a day.. a vacation.. a breathe of fresh air. Your children are behaving. (where have my screaming kids gone?) Nap time was easy. Manners were used. the kids played well together. And at the end of the day you kick your feet up and think...  HUH...  maybe I am not so bad at this.
   That is how they rope you in ya know?? They are all nice and sweet, give kisses and hugs and their precious little smiles. They sing and dance. They share their toys with you and are nice to other people.. they even behave in the store...  Now to you non-parent readers... think for one second when the last time you went to a store and noticed the child that was NOT screaming. That just sat there and behaved. It's rare to remember those.. But I am sure everyone reading can remember the last time they went and heard the mother one aisle over who was yelling at her kids.
   You know the one who is saying something like this " I swear if you do not get in the cart and stop touching everything I am calling your father" or "that's it. You are not getting a toy" "you wait until we get in the car mister."
   But every once in a while and more often for some parents.. myself included because I may complain about the tough days but I am fully aware that I have wonderful children and am spoiled by them, there will be a day that reminds you why you were so excited about your little non moving, non squirming, non back talking baby to grow up and run around.
  There is nothing like the smile on a child's face to make your heart skip a beat.
 
  So for all of the moms (and dad's) reading this on a day where you are pretty sure you have created a bald spot by pulling your hair so much (or having it pulled so much) remember that just before you think you can not handle it anymore, there will be a glorious smile that crosses your child's face, a hand that stretches out with a toy to a friend or a sibling, a hug for no reason, or an I love you mommy that will make it all worth while.
  Raise your wine glass, your ice cream bowl, your fat free weight watchers crap snack, or whatever else you indulge in after the kids have FINALLY gone to bed tonight up to the sky, think of the best thing that happened with your children that day and say out loud... Here is to days like this.
  And if your spouse thinks your nuts, look them dead in the face and say... hey I talked to a 2 yr old all day, I can talk to the ceiling if I want to.

1 comment:

  1. ;-) Very nice Stacey. Told you, it's real!!! Some nights, a little more then a glass of wine. lol

    ReplyDelete