Friday, June 6, 2014

Unsolicited Rudeness

   Ok, who that is friends with me on Facebook didn't see this coming?

   Today, well, lets say it was not my most fabulous of days. Not a terrible day, just a "not the way I want it" day. What I wanted to do was stay in bed. But.. guess what?!? Some time ago I had some kids and they kind of require that I not do that. You know.. for safety and such... and so they don't eat me out of house and home... and Meal Bars.
   After a morning of a sleeping baby and 2 fighting kids I bought a shirt to match a diaper that I have been wanting. That my friends is called retail therapy.. you should try it.. just with your own bank account.. mine sees a little too much action in that area.
   Afternoon rolled around and we ventured to the grocery store. Brave me and all 3 kids. To no avail we had the traditional come to Jesus talk. You know the one you got when you were a kid.. " Don't ask for anything, because you are not getting anything. You have not been well behaved today and you are not getting rewarded for being bad. You will sit in this cart, you will have a good attitude and if I have to speak to you in this store you will go home and play no games, have no T.V. and you will not have any snacks tonight. Is that understood?"
   Then Porter started standing in the cart and things went down hill real fast. By the time we reached the cat food aisle (the main reason we were at the store.. poor cat.) JT was standing on the end of the cart and Ellie was trying to convince me to buy all of the dog toys. I felt like I was herding turtles... they are slow and don't listen worth crap.. they just wander aimlessly and do what they want.
   By the time I realized that I had forgotten paper towels I was getting irritated, so what a refreshing sight to see a little old lady strolling through the store with her daughter. The daughter perhaps was 65ish, and the old lady looked to be late 80's. I really like watching old people. That might sound a little strange, but I am a people watcher and little old people are my favorites. They are always so cute in their I don't care what you think weird colored linen pants that start just below their boobs and are 4 inches too short. Lets call her Mama. We can call the daughter Sue.

    So Mama sees me coming around the corner with Porter and stops. She looks at him and starts to smile and asks where his shoes are. We chat about how he is in the stage of I don't want to wear shoes and I want to walk, not ride in the cart. Then she peaks around the corner and sees JT and Ellie in the cart. Here is where the fun begins.
   Sue looks at my kids and says to me  "Why would you bring all of your kids to the store?"

   Well you see ma'am, where I am from that's called being a mom. You know you pop these things out, society kind of expects you to take care of them.. feed them, bathe them, sometimes even drag them along to run errands.  Really?

   I gave her my best polite laugh and told her that I usually go when the oldest is in Preschool but since school is out, I got to bring them all today.
   "School isn't out yet. My grand kids go for another week. Are you sure school is out already?"
   "Yes Ma'am. He goes to a private preschool and they have been out for a week now."
    Here comes the good part.. as if I was not already a little tested by the children, She gets a horrified look on her face and blatantly stares at my stomach and reaches out to touch my arm.
    "Are you pregnant again? or have you just not lost any of the baby weight?"

   Are you KIDDING ME? I actually weigh 30 lbs less than when I got pregnant with the baby. Not that it is any of your business.

   "No Ma'am I am not pregnant. But I plan on having more in a few years."
   "well you look about 6 months pregnant. You should work on losing that baby weight before it sticks around forever."

  This is where Mama chimes in and asks how old the kids are. I answer to the best of my ability without showing my complete disgust at how rude some people can be, and follow it up with an excuse to dip out and walk away saying "Come on guys, lets go get some more cat food"

 True to bitter ole Sue's apparent attitude as I walked away I heard her say ....

   " That's all she needs is a cat"

 Well Sue, guess what? I didn't ask you. And I have two dogs, too. What do you have to say about that! Rude old bat. Just because you are in a bad mood doesn't give you the right to ruin everyone else's day. Don't you have a husband or something for that? You know like the rest of us, who you can apologize to later.


 Here's the good news for the day.. That shirt I got earlier.. yeah.. it ended up only costing me $12. AND I got to chat with some pretty awesome ladies on the phone today.. And I got a pretty good laugh at a few of things JT said to me today.. Including but not limited to calling me " Mrs. Snooky Mooky." The best part about having a rough day as a mom is that any second something hilarious can come out of their mouths and your biggest worry is bladder control.


  Happy Friday Ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment