Thursday, July 11, 2013

Just Beachy

    After having a somewhat rough few weeks my friends Andrea, Sarah and I decided to take a day to check out of life and spend at the beach. We spent Saturday night in front of my fire pit roasting marshmallows and sipping on some fabulous wine, where Sarah got a little inpatient and bit into her burnt marshmallow, resulting in a red swollen lip and many, many cell phone selfies.
   We crawled out of bed around 6 and get ready for the day, made a much needed coffee stop on the way out of town and hit the road. Getting set up on the beach was a little interesting, as it was 10 am and the sand was like little miscroscopic bits of lava, and half an hour in we broke the umbrella. $25 later we rented one of those beach cabanas ( which I later saw in the store across the street for sale at the same price .. of course!) which did a great job of keeping Porter sand free-ish and cool. Combined with a wet towel and a chair made out of sand I think he was living it up. I mean look at this....
  The water was fabulous, perfectly clear and there were even little schools of silvery fish. I would have taken a picture of that, but with my luck I would have dropped my cell in the ocean and Ian would have declared me done with technology. {I have lost phones in some unique liquids, like film developer, pumpkin pie filling, and coffee} I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed the waves, but the beautiful water had a downfall. Andrea caught the worst of the rays, with me coming in a far behind second.
   The burn started setting in right around the time that we were getting ready to leave. By the time Porter demanded that we stop for him to eat ( we grabbed some Subway, cause this lady has a hard time resisting some chicken teriyaki ) there was a whole lot of rubbing down going on. I am fairly certain that's the most action that Food Lion parking lot has seen since it was first paved. But for Andrea, it did not stop there...
  


Traffic was AWFUL on the way back- not that you can tell from this picture but trust me-, but it allowed for some age inappropriate music at extreme volumes, and a who has the best white girl dance competition. Sarah really needs to catch up on some lyrics though.. I mean if we are going to make fools of ourselves driving through Richmond, the least she could do is know more than the chorus right? But check this out... Lots of aloe, wonderful, wonderful aloe.

   A Sunday beach trip was just what I needed to reset. Too bad the resulting burn lasted a few days and now I have a peeling forehead.. BUT.. I did not end up looking like a lobster. I do however have some super sharp little Porter fingernails digging into sensitive skin every few hours in an effort to gain head control.. And I had the luxury of sitting at home avoiding a bra, unlike my favorite neighbor who got a good public shaming for her lack of skin care despite her efforts to apply sunscreen frequently. I feel as if I have no room to really complain though, as I only applied sunscreen about 2 hours before leaving. Here's a ride home selfie for you. . see that? only slightly pink.. the tall one in the back, yeah apparently she bought the good stuff. . with skin that pale who can blame her right?? We love you Sarah, apparently the sun feels otherwise. Perhaps next time I take a me day it will be without a demanding, fresh skinned, breast attachment. . but who am I kidding? The rugrats make life fun. Without tag-alongs my days just aren't complete.. AND Ellie has a way of making things fun. Mainly because she has a terribly smart mouth on her, but what is relaxation without a few frustrated laughs?

   Oh, and in case you were worried I might get too relaxed, Reha took care of that remember? Here's to hoping that the $60 cage we just bought off a yard sale site lasts long enough to replace the floor, get her fixed and purchase a nice hefty steel doggie jail.
   Happy Vitamin D to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment