Friday, July 12, 2013

Nom Nom Nommy

   Ian and I have been married for going on 5 years, the first year and a half of which we lived with my parents.  Basically for the last 3 years we have been eating the same things over and over and over and over and over, with very little variety thrown in there except for when we eat out ( a rare occasion). Mostly our dinner diet consisted of salmon, pork chops, chicken and lasagna.
   I am not a large red meat eater so steaks are generally reserved for a special occasion or nights when I was not home. We may have cooked them a little differently, or served with different sides, but it pretty much boiled down to lots of pasta and ready made sides even though I like to cook and bake. I just didn't really bother looking at recipe books despite having a whole shelf of them.
   Since Porter was born though my taste buds really kicked up the boredom signals. I just didn't want to eat Alfredo noodles with grilled chicken, or breaded pork chops every night. So, I did what any crafty lady would do, I turned to Pinterest. I figure I spend so much time on there planning my life I might as well plan the food that would fuel it.
   I am amazed at how many recipes I have found that have really been amazing, easy to make and cheap. That my friends is the recipe trifecta. Since I am allergic to raw tomato ( the acid from the juices really breaks my skin out when I touch it and I get hives from eating it ) I have always steered clear of anything involving tomato. What a mistake! I have found a few new favorites that include diced tomatoes ( and since they sell that already cooked and canned we are in the clear )
   I have them pinned to Pinterest and you are free to check out my "Food I dream of making" board. Tonight's meal is the Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins. But so far I have tried the untitled noodle sausage mess..  Sarah and Andrea were here to try that one, they approved. I have tried the broccoli cheddar quiche with the brown rice crust, the tortellini crockpot meal ... talk about easy; throw the ingredients in a crock pot for 4 hours and serve. I have also tried the banana and oatmeal cookies, more of a breakfast thing than a desert but good nonetheless. Another favorite -especially for Ian- is the sour cream enchiladas. The turkey roll ups with laughing cow cheese and cucumbers have been devoured in my house as well as the grilled cheese with bacon and avocado.
   Most of the ideas have been a new way of preparing something we already enjoy, but it has made a huge difference around here. I am actually excited about making dinner, and grocery shopping is a lot easier because I actually have to plan out what I am making and what I need for it. In addition to my average necessities ( TP, Milk, Cheese, Bread etc. ) I bought enough food for 6 new meals and still only spent $130 at the store. In this list was also a good amount of things I don't need to buy very often, ex. buffalo sauce, Nutella, noodles.  I am mostly looking forward to the Salmon with Feta cheese and roasted red peppers, served with roasted potatoes courtesy of my lovely neighbor Andrea who made them for a " Congrats you just pushed a baby out of your hoo-ha " meal. Those are the best!

    I will keep you posted if I try anything on that board that is not so fabulous... but tell me that making your own Chinese food doesn't sound appealing.. I mean minus the fact that its not served with completely irrelevant fortunes inside lemony hard as rock cookies. Also, Ladies and Gents.. please share anything that you have tried new that is yummy to your tummies... because I am looking to try new things. Avocado was kind to me when I finally gave it a chance... who knows? There may be a whole world out there my tastebuds have never given a chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment